Manchester United winger Antony has been dropped from the Brazil squad following allegations of abuse by his former girlfriend.
Brazil confirmed the player had been withdrawn from the side for their upcoming World Cup qualifiers due to the accusations, which they said “need to be investigated”.
Brazilian news outlet UOL published the allegations by Gabriela Cavallin – which Antony denied on Monday.
The 23-year-old, who signed for United from Ajax in an £85m deal last September, wrote on Instagram: “Out of respect for my fans, friends and family, I feel obliged to speak out publicly about the false accusations I have been the victim of.
“From the beginning I have treated this matter with seriousness and respect, providing the necessary clarifications before the police authority. The police investigation is under judicial secrecy, and therefore I cannot make its contents public.
“However, I can calmly state that the accusations are false and that the evidence already produced and the other evidence that will be produced demonstrate that I am innocent of the accusations made.
“My relationship with Gabriela was tumultuous, with verbal insults from both sides, but I never committed any physical aggression.
“At each moment, whether in testimony or in an interview, she presents a different version of the accusations.
“Therefore, I come to vehemently deny the accusations made and inform you that I remain at the entire disposal of the Brazilian authorities to clarify whatever is necessary.
“I trust that the ongoing police investigations will demonstrate the truth about my innocence.”
Antony is accused of attacking Cavallin, a social media influencer, “with a headbutt” in a Manchester hotel room on 15 January, leaving her with a cut to the head which needed treatment from a doctor.
Cavallin also alleges she was punched in the chest by Antony, which she claims caused damage to a silicone breast implant which required corrective surgery back in Brazil.
Another alleged incident took place at a house on 8 May, during which she claims she suffered a cut finger while trying to protect herself, accusing Antony of throwing a glass cup towards her as well as then taking her passport.
Cavallin is said to have filed a report to the Sao Paulo Civil Police concerning allegations of physical and verbal abuse by Antony while on holiday in Brazil during June 2022, when she was pregnant, as well as making a separate complaint to Greater Manchester Police.
In a statement to Telegraph Sport, GMP said: “Greater Manchester Police is aware of the allegations made and enquiries remain ongoing to establish the circumstances surrounding this report. We will not be commenting any further at this time.”
Manchester United had no comment on the matter when contacted by Sky Sports.
A statement from the Brazilian Football Confederation confirmed Antony had been withdrawn from the squad for September’s World Cup qualifiers against Bolivia and Peru, and replaced with Arsenal striker Gabriel Jesus.