The Ghana Football Association announced his dismissal via a post of their website that read, “The Ghana Football Association wishes to announce that Chris Hughton has been relieved of his duties as head coach of the senior National team with immediate effect.“
The statement continued that to state that the GFA had also dissolved the technical team of the Black Stars.
“The Ghana Football Association will in the coming days provide a roadmap on the future direction of the Black Stars“, the statement ended.
Timeline of events leading to the sack of Chris Hughton:
- February 2023: Chris Hughton appointed Black Stars head coach.
- March-June 2023: Hughton leads Ghana to AFCON qualification.
- June-July 2023: Disappointing performance at AFCON results in early exit.
- October 2023: Reports emerge of GFA considering Hughton’s sacking.
- January 2024: Chris Hughton officially dismissed as Black Stars coach.